- About Us
- VCDL Gear
- VA Politics
- 2015 Legislative Tracking Tool
- 2014 Federal Candidate Survey
- 2014 Federal Survey Results
- 2014 General Assembly Candidate Survey
- 2014 Legislative Tracking Tool
- 2014 Special Election Survey Results
- 2013 Statewide Candidate Survey
- 2013 General Assembly Candidate Survey
- 2013 Primary Candidates
- 2013 General Election Candidates
- 2013 General Election Survey Results
- 2015 General Election Candidates
- General Assembly Voting Scores
- VCDL Candidate Surveys
- VA Carry Info
Virginia carry permit data may become private
In the wake of the outcry over New York's Journal News publishing an interactive map of permits in their readership area and the subsequent criminal targetting of gun owners, many states where permit data is currently public are considering making the data private. You should include Virginia on that list.
Last Friday, the Militia, Police and Public Safety Committee passed a bill out of committee that will make the data private except in the course of a criminal investigation.
VCDL President Philip VanCleave notes that it has happened in Virginia as well. In 2007, the Roanoke Times did something similar by publishing the entire list of permit holders. He went on to say that “There are people there whose lives are at risk.”
Read more at The Daily Press.