- About Us
- VCDL Gear
- VA Politics
- 2014 Federal Candidate Survey
- 2014 Federal Survey Results
- 2014 General Assembly Candidate Survey
- 2014 Legislative Tracking Tool
- 2014 Special Election Survey Results
- 2013 Statewide Candidate Survey
- 2013 General Assembly Candidate Survey
- 2013 Primary Candidates
- 2013 General Election Candidates
- 2013 General Election Survey Results
- VA Carry Info
In Virginia gun related deaths and injuries are way down while gun sales skyrocket
In Virginia gun-related homicides and injuries continue to trend downward while sales of firearms have skyrocketed.
Virginia’s Office of the Chief Medical Examiner releases data yearly about deaths in the Commonwealth and that data shows that gun-related deaths and injuries on a per-capita basis dropped an amazing 37% in Virginia since 2005.
Also, for the first time, the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner broke out homicides by so-called 'assault weapons'. In the latest report, the total homicides and injuries by these sporting firearms, which make up the majority of new sales, was .... one. A single solitary case.
Virginia Commonwealth University professor Thomas R. Baker admits that this data does not support the anti-gunners positions.
“It’s actually quite surprising and the opposite of what I would have hypothesized. I would have thought that aggregate increases in gun sales would directly correlate to aggregate increases in the proportion of suicides and homicides by gun. But that doesn’t seem to be the case.”
Read more in The Times Dispatch.